Compliance check investigations are varied and can either be an enquiry into an aspect of your tax return or a full-blown investigation of your businesses and financial affairs. At times, they can be intrusive and feel personal.
HMRC starts more than 90% of compliance check investigations because it holds intelligence suggesting something is wrong. They are rarely selected at random.
HMRC uses its powerful Schedule 36 powers to assist its compliance check investigation by requesting documents/information and inspecting your business premises, sometimes unannounced.
When considering appointing specialist representation, clients and advisers should ask themselves these questions:
- Do you feel comfortable dealing with HMRC?
- Are you able to manage and control HMRC?
- Do you have up-to-date knowledge of HMRC's latest powers?
- Is HMRC's approach or any Schedule 36 request for documents/information and the inspection of your business premises reasonable?
- Is what seemed a straightforward enquiry, now escalating out of control?
- Are there any errors in your tax affairs that you should disclose?
- Are you concerned about being publicised as a serious tax defaulter?
What can our expert team do for you?
We will initially carry out a comprehensive review of the status of your compliance check investigation, working with you and your professional adviser, to ensure we have a full understanding of the issues and risks you are facing. We will prepare a strategy going forward to minimise your potential exposure to unnecessary tax, interest and penalties. Should a disclosure be necessary we will present this to HMRC to ensure that you are treated fairly and proportionately. Our aim is to fast track your compliance check investigation to resolution and closure of all issues to your satisfaction at minimum cost and disruption to you.
Request a callback or meeting
If you'd like us to give you a call , fill in your details below and we'll email to arrange a good time to speak to our Head of Tax investigations team, Mark Taylor. All communications are in the strictest confidence.
Alternatively, if you'd prefer to speak to our team directly, please call:
0203 858 0338