How we can help
Our regulated and insured experts will ensure that the estate is dealt with correctly to give you peace of mind that there's no complex tax or probate issues left to resolve. We’ll start by talking to the Personal Representatives (PRs) to establish what level of support you need and then take you through each step of the process. Our approach will be tailored to your unique circumstances, so we can help with just a few steps, or the full process from start to finish.
- Advice: interpreting the will, tax planning, deeds of variation, the implications of an estate with overseas assets or a cross border estate, and the implications of a trust created under a will, and distributions.
- Inheritance Tax (IHT): calculating IHT liability and preparing IHT Forms, obtaining the IHT assessments and advising on IHT payment(s).
- Probate: preparing the grant application and applying for the Grant of Representation (GOR) to prove your authority to administer the estate.
- Estate administration: tax returns (if required) or reporting to HMRC informally, Form R185, and accounts (if required) – simple for non-complex estates or detailed for substantial/complex estates.
- Distributing assets: collecting/selling/transferring assets, arranging payment of creditors, and registration of the estate on the Trust Register (if required).
- Minimising tax liabilities: tax mitigation, tax-efficient timing of distributions or transfers of assets, advising on deeds of variation, and obtaining legal advice for claims under the Inheritance Tax Act 1984.
We can also provide valuations of private company shares if the deceased had a business interest, financial planning advice on your inherited assets and prepare tax returns for legatees with new sources of income.