UK tax year-end planning: UK Inheritance Tax (IHT)

The figures below show that planning to avoid UK IHT can save up to circa $9m (for a married couple) if you are not yet fully subject to UK IHT, but might become so. 

Last updated: 13 February 2019

Please see below the key differences with the UK and US estate tax regimes:

Tax regime

Tax rate

Estate threshold

Threshold for a married couple

UK IHT (2018/19)




US Estate Tax (2019)




* the family home allowance may increase this threshold over time up to £1m.

Planning with trusts to mitigate UK IHT can work effectively for a US taxpayer. Large gifts can be made into an excluded property trust before an individual becomes deemed domiciled. Proposed regulations have recently been issued in the US confirming that large gifts between 2018 and 2025 (when the current estate/gift tax threshold expires) will not lose the tax benefit once the threshold decreases after 2025.    

It is important that you consider the income tax and capital gains tax rules in the US and UK if setting up an excluded property trust to ensure there is no double taxation. For instance, it might be a good idea in some cases to taint the trust so that it loses its protected status for UK tax purposes in order to avoid double taxation.

Gifts to a charity can be effective from an income tax and IHT perspective, but the recipient will need to be to a dual-qualified charity in order to ensure that this is tax efficient from both an income tax and IHT/Estate tax perspective in the US and the UK.  Also, with changes in the US relating to itemised and standard deductions, it could be that clustering charitable contributions into certain years would be more effective, and/or potentially using a Donor Advised Fund that has a US/UK dual-qualified status. In addition, if you are domiciled or deemed domiciled in the UK, you would want to avoid making a charitable contribution directly into a US charitable trust as this would be deemed to be a chargeable lifetime transfer and potentially subject to an immediate 20% charge (if the nil rate band has been used up). 

What should I do?

If you are a US person in the UK who is considering making gifts, or looking to reduce exposure to UK Inheritance Tax, you should consult with an advisor to help you set up the right plan, whether it be tax efficient gifting from a US/UK perspective, or the set-up of an excluded property trust.

Follow the relevant links below to read more:

We recommend that individuals seek professional advice where appropriate before taking any action, so please fill out the form below if you have any questions.

Please complete all required fields above.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Close iconClose icon backback
Your search for "..."
did not yield any results.
... results for "..."
Search Tags