Our dedicated not-for-profit tax team advises all kinds of organisations. We work closely with charities, religious institutes, academies and schools, further and higher education organisations, INGOs, membership organisations and social businesses.
Take advantage of our sector experience to make sure you’re claiming all relevant tax reliefs and exemptions. Then enjoy directing the greatest possible funds towards the causes you care about.
Our tax and audit specialists work as one team and have trained as charity experts from day one. So you can count on regular communication, industry insights and an annual charity tax update after the Chancellor’s Budget. We also offer tax update seminars and bespoke fundraising workshops to help you keep up to date with the latest information.
Tax advice to help charities and their trustees
- Review use of Gift Aid and other tax-efficient ways to boost income
- Review group structures for tax efficiency and set up tax-efficient trading subsidiaries
- Assess tax consequences of new contracts and agreements, for example, sponsorship agreements
- Review VAT exemptions
- Advise on dual-qualifying charities (a tax-efficient structure connecting a UK and US charity)
- Guidance on property transactions
- Advise on employment tax issues
- Advise on fundraising events and initiatives
Taxes and giving: getting it right
Charities are subject to the same compliance rules as any other taxpayer and exposed to potential significant tax penalties for getting it wrong! Under self-assessment tax, the burden is with charity trustees and key management to ensure they are fully compliant and disclose all relevant information under what has become increasingly complex tax rules. Our specialist tax team will provide their knowledge and support to help reduce your risk and make sure you are getting it right!
Download these useful resources
Fundraising events: VAT and Direct Tax
Funding the arts: Tax reliefs
Tax efficient giving
Top 10 tips for fundraising events
Pros and cons of using a trading subsidiary
Have you seen the latest Civil Society Charity Shop Survey?
Buzzacott are proud sponsors of Civil Society's 2019 Charity Shop Survey. Find out all the latest insights by downloading the survey via Civil Society's website here.