Sun, sea and a summer tax bill?

As the end of July rapidly approaches, some taxpayers are faced with the recurring prospect of yet another tax payment becoming due.

About the author

Claire Watkins

+44 (0)20 7556 1482

The UK’s tax payment system is unfortunately arranged so that payments of tax for the self-employed fall at the most inconvenient times, be it following the busy and always expensive Christmas period (31 January) or before your annual summer holiday (31 July). However, there may be something you can do to ease your cash flow planning...

If your income for the 2017/18 tax year is lower than that of the previous year, there may be an opportunity to reduce the amount of tax payable on 31 July. By completing your tax return before this date, it is possible to review your tax position and, where possible, adjust the amount you pay to HMRC.

For those whose income has increased, unfortunately there may be no scope to reduce the amount you have to pay. The 31 January tax payment is made up of a balancing tax payment for the tax year plus a payment on account for the following tax year, making it possibly the largest payment of tax you will make in any given year where your income has increased.

Completing your tax return early ensures you can fully benefit from tax advice as soon as possible. The last thing anyone wants to receive is an unexpected, large tax bill.

For more information, please get in touch.

You might also be interested in… Tax planning and advice for individuals.

Design your own financial future

Work with us to look over each aspect of your financial life (and your family’s) and build a map of your income and assets. Together we’ll identify ways to minimise what goes out and build up what comes in. That includes your liability for income, capital gains and inheritance taxes, as well as your eligibility for rebates or deferred payment.


If you’re a non-dom living and/or trading in the UK, our team can help you navigate each authority that applies to you. Should you ever run into problems with HMRC, our familiarity with your circumstances means you’ll have a go-between you can trust to help you resolve them.

US personal tax advice

US taxpayers living in the UK need to juggle two balls with one hand, always considering both sets of legislation before making any financial or personal decisions. Which, let’s be honest, could make even the most financially-savvy person feel cross-eyed. Have a chat with our dual-qualified US tax experts to ensure those balls stay airborne.

Consider us a combination of trusted advisor and informed ally.  We have your best interests at heart.